AHS National Convention 2012
On the 17th of March, the AHS will be holding the speaker day of our annual convention at the Conway Hall in central London. This year we will be hosting speakers and comedians including David Allen Green, Martin Poulter, Anne-Marie Waters, Richard Norman and Iszi Lawrence for a day of insightful speakers, and interesting people to talk to and network with... not forgetting lots of freebies as well! Plus entertainment from the wonderful BHA Choir.
Saturday 17th - Conway Hall
Speakers include David Allen Green (launching his campaign "Getting Religion Out of the Law and Out of the Courtroom"), Anne-Marie Waters, Richard Norman and Martin Poulter (with more to confirm) and evening entertainment from Iszi Lawrence! Arrive 10.00 - 10.30. Before the speakers start, Conway Hall will be fun of stalls run by friends and colleagues of the AHS including the BHA, New Humanist, Pod Delusion, Wikimedia and Ancestors Trail. Speakers will finish at 17:30 at which point we shall retire to the nearest watering-hole!
Getting to Conway Hall
There is £500 in travel grants so you've got no excuse not to bring people along. This day is open to the public so you can ask everyone you know!
- From Euston: Get the Victoria Line to Oxford Circus, then the Central Line to Holborn
- From Kings Cross St Pancras: Get the Picadilly Line to Holborn
- From Paddington: Get the Bakerloo Line to Oxford Circus, then the Central Line to Holborn
- From Victoria: Get the Victoria Line to Green Park, then the Piccadilly Line to Holborn
- From Waterloo: Get the Bakerloo Line to Piccadilly Circus, then the Piccadilly Line to Holborn
You might want to consider getting an Oyster Card for travelling round London by public transport.
Sunday 18th - Workshop Day
Students are invited to attend the workshop day beginning at 10:00 on Sunday the 18th, which shall be kindly hosted by UCL. This day is instrumental in drawing on the pool of talent within your societies to help develop everyone within the AHS. We will be holding workshops on:
- Running a Reason Week with society leaders who have successfully held reason weeks at their universities
- Accessing AHS Resources with the AHS Secretary and Head of Education, giving you hints and tips about all the marvellous guides, publicity and funding available from the AHS
- Debating and Public Speaking training to make you as smooth as a Cameron
- Running a Successful Fresher's Week with Richy Thompson from the BHA to help you expand your membership
- How to become an AHS Officer: The AHS is run by students, for students. Do you have what it takes to run a organisation representing student atheists, humanists and secularists in the UK and Republic of Ireland?
- Press and Publicity with the Adrian Tippetts, NSS council member
The day will be finishing at 16:00 with presentations and prize-giving!
Where to Stay
Trying to work out where to stay on the night of the 17th? We recommend the following hostels, in order of proximity to Conway Hall:
Student tickets are £3 and are available here.
Regular tickets are £5 and are available here.